Monday 16 February 2015

Frida Kahlo development and colour

To improve and further develop my drawing of Frida Kahlo I started off  by putting in into photoshop and cleaning up the lines using the levels tool. I made the backgrounds white and the lines more black. I then decided to change the head dress a little bit because I liked a different one more, I did this digitally and it worked really well.



Once I was happy with the outline I decided to start colouring the image. I wanted to use tasteful modern colours. To help me out with the colours I went onto the Colour lovers website and chose some nice dusty pastel colours for the flowers I used this as a starting point, I then added my own colours that worked with the palette. I think it worked out nicely and the colours work well together.







I then went on to colour the hair and eyebrows, I just decided on using a dark grey colour so none of the detail in the hair was lost. I also coloured the cheeks and the lips in a dusty pink to fit in with the colour scheme. 



I finally added the skin colour. For this I decided to colour pick Frida Kahlo's actual skin tone on photoshop from a photograph to make sure I got a close enough match to her actual skin tone. It worked out matching really well with the other colours that I had chose.




I am happy with how the colour turned out and I think I will stick with this format for my other illustrations. I will now clean up my other illustrations and continue colouring them, I will also create a frame to go around the illustrations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment