Thursday 25 September 2014

CD or Vinyl?

In the brief it states that we can either design a CD cover or a vinyl cover so i have decided to weigh up my options before making a decision by collection information on both of these options.

Vinyl

With the option of Vinyl there is a considerable amount of blank space to fill compared to CD so I would have to consider how big I would like my illustration to. I would also have to consider if I wanted  my cover to have any holes or slots cut out of the middle which a few vinyl covers do have to show off the art work that is on the actual record. Looking at the dimension diagram of a record cover I would have to remember to include  the tabs to assemble the record cover together so it would function correctly. The last thing that I can think of that might raise a problem is creating the physical product, as vinyl covers are quite large and the printing might be quite hard if I couldn't find somewhere with a printer large enough to print the cover. 


Tubelord Single vinyl Covers Artwork, by Jack Teagle




CD

When thinking about creating a CD there is lots of things to consider for example the small size because you couldn't put something too detailed on a small CD cover because the smaller details would get lost in the image. There is also the spine of the CD case to remember because vinyl does not have this but Cd's have a spine that usually has the artists name and the record label printed on to it and it will occasionally have a tiny piece of art on it that links to the front cover. I think that CD's are are also a lot more versatile than vinyl covers as a lot more can be done with them, for example you could create a cardboard wrap around protector for your CD. You could also include a booklet with the CD case. 











Overall I feel like there is a lot more that you could do with a CD case to make it a lot more interesting and visually more exiting than a vinyl case so I am going to decide on the option of creating a CD case. 









No comments:

Post a Comment