Friday 7 February 2014

Nobrow magazine research

I went to a comic book shop in newcastle to have a look at the Nobrow things that they had on sale. I decided to get a double issue magazine that was half full of comic strips and half full of illustrations. I decided to get the magazine because i love Nobrows simple yet effective and dramatic style plus i thought it would be good for research and inspiration for my current narrative brief.  I took a few photos from the magazine that inspire me and give me ideas for my brief.


This is the front cover i really like all of the black used it really makes the image and title stand out


The colour pallete in the comic strip above is extremely limited using only two colours along with the black and white. I think its amazing how using this little colours can work so well. This seems like a hard thing to do but i an going to attempt to use only 3 colours in my narrative. Hopefully this will help me to understand more how to do it. 


I like the comic strip art above because it shows that no brow also publish things with a bit of a different look compared to their usual style of using black outlines. I also really like the muted yellows and oranges used in the images.


I think the colour scheme used in the above comic strip is one of my favourites as the yellow makes the images pop and look really striking. I also think yellow black and white go really nicely together.


I chose to include the above comic strip because i like the unique style. It really stood out amongst most of the other comic strips. The characters are drawn with real character and its really nice to look at.


The above comic strip looks really dramatic and its because of all the black blocking used. This has given me a good idea of what to do if i have a dramatic scene in my story.


again i love the colours that are used in the image above i think they really complement each other well. I also like this comic strip because it is a bit different using 4/5 different shades of the same colour i think this gives a really nice effect.


The next few images are from the illustration section of the magazine. I love the image above because it is so unique and i didn't expect to se something like this in the magazine and it was a lovely surprise. it suggests the shape of the female form but at the same time is very abstract. i also like the lack of colour. I don't think i will do anything like this in my final images but i still like it.


The images above are quite typical of Nobrow with the strong block colours. the reason that i really like this image is because of its simplicity. Although it is simple it describes the characters really nicely. i am going to use the idea of simplicity in my final images.


The final image i think is very different for this magazine and thats why i chose to include it. I love the mood that the dark colours and dark grey clouds sets. i also really like the blue background it really stands out against the rest of the image. 

I learnt a lot from this magazine and i think it will help me throughout the whole project. 

1 comment:

  1. Awh thank you so much, i'm glad you like my blog. I really appreciate the follow :)
    yeah sure ill follow you back of corse!

    Mel x

    ReplyDelete