Monday 12 January 2015

Module evaluation Part 1: Carrie's War

At the beginning of this module I was pretty overwhelmed with the amount of amazing briefs that we were given to choose from. It was quite a challenge for me to choose which one I wanted to do, so I thought really hard about what will benefit me most in terms of experience and opportunities that I could gain from it. I narrowed it down to the traveling man zine and the Penguin book cover competition briefs. After a lot of thought I decided that I can always work on zines and self publish them in my own time where as the penguin competition only comes around once a year, plus its only for students to enter meaning that when I leave university I cant enter it and I might as well make the most of it whilst I can. So in the end I decided to go ahead with the Penguin book cover competition. One thing that helped me to decide to do the penguin brief was the opportunities you could gain from winning the it or even getting short listed because it would definitely get you noticed within the industry.  I also thought that I would like experience in designing a book cover as I really love to read and it would be good to work alongside books in some way, in the future.

When I started to look more into the brief, the next thing to do was choose two from the three books to design a cover for. The three choices were: Oranges are not the only fruit, Freakanomics and Carrie's War. I decided quite quickly to do Carries War (the children's book) and Oranges are not the only fruit (the adult non-fiction book) because these were the two novel style books and I thought that I might enjoy reading the books anyway. Ill start with evaluating my Carries War book cover because that’s where I began. I started off reading the book pretty quickly, I soon discovered that the book was about evacuated children in World War 2. Although I enjoyed the book and it brought me back in time feel as though the story definitely lacked a gripping storyline especially for a children's book. All of the previous covers that I looked at didn't really represent the story at all because they showed scenes of war and destruction in London where none of that happened within the book. After reading the story it struck me that it was going to be hard to make such an empty story look exiting for children and make them want to pick it up off the shelves. Then it hit me, I thought why not just create the creepy woods that the children walk through throughout the story because that was the main part of the story that had a lot of description.

I started out with a few sketches of how I imagined the cover in my head and thought it would be appropriate to include the two main characters and the house that the children are going to (Hepsibah's House.) I wanted to create a woodland scene with lots of depth, my idea was that this would draw children looking in the bookshop into the scene and make them want to read the book. To make the image look really interesting and unique I decided to take my illustrations to a 3D medium. I have done this before and I really liked the look that it gave but it wasn't finished to that high of a standard so I thought that I could really push this technique and really improve it I looked at a few different artists for inspiration such as Hari and Deeppiti, they were a big influence. I then created illustrations of the trees and people that I wanted to make the scene from and I cut out a tester using cartridge paper and it took me a pretty long time to get all of the intricate detail that I wanted in the trees, after realising how long this was going to take I thought about my options. I was then given the idea to try out using the laser cutter. I really liked the idea of using it and was really exited to learn a new tool that I could use to create 3D illustrations. I then created my illustration outlines digitally using Adobe Illustrator. I then booked a session to use the laser cutter and the technician helped me to achieve what I wanted. I really, really love the finish that the laser cutter gives and it helped push my design to another level I was very pleased with my outcome. I wasn't planning for it but the laser cutter left slight scorch marks around the edge of the cuts and I really liked the colouring that it made on the white mount board it added real character. The look of the scorch marks also referenced war time really well because there will have been a lot of destruction and devastation from bombs and of course fire so there would have been a lot of scorched debris around at this time in history.

After using the laser cutter the next challenge for me to conquer was for me to photograph the scenes to create the final images. This was by far one of the hardest points of creating this book cover. As I don't have that much experience with photography or lighting it was very hard to work out the best way to light the scene. After a lot of trial and error and some help from the photography tutors we finally figured out the best lighting angles, and it took a while but in the end we got the perfect shots. I think when we got the lighting right it really transformed it to a magical scene and drew you in. This is exactly what I wanted. If I was to have any criticisms it would be that the photograph on the front cover was lit slightly differently than the front because it was harder to lighting right as a lot of shadows were being cast onto the house. I am still really pleased with the result though. After deciding on the two final images I then took them to Photoshop to edit the levels and the hue/saturation. I wanted to make the dark bits slightly darker and the light parts lighter, I did this by editing the levels. I then added a warm orangey/yellow hue to the whole image to make it look more inviting and warm. I think this really helped the image to look more like a children's book because it had a nice nostalgic look to it, It reminded me a bit of when you think of a happy memory and in your head the image has a whole warm glow to it.

Finally I added the Title, author name, Blurb and spine to the book design in Photoshop. I feel as though the front cover looked really nice and the title and author really completed the look of the front cover. I then added the blurb, this was also laser cut but it was engraved into a square piece of mount board rather than fully cut out of it. I really liked the look of the laser cut blurb but i'm not too sure how well it worked on the back of the book because it was very square and it was covering up a lot of detail of the trees. I tried other ways of placing the blurb and I tried a few ways of improving the look of it like changing the transparency and size of it, I even tried making it look like it was amongst the trees but a lot of the text was not readable. I think I will just have to deal with the way that it looks because a blurb is a very necessary part of a book back, even of its not the best designed part its one of the most important elements so I feel that its not that big of a deal that it stands out quite a bit because it does its job. 

Overall I am really pleased with how this book design has turned out, I was not too sure initially how good I would be at creating a book cover that worked with the story but I feel that I really have. Its hard to tell if it will be what the judges are looking for but I certainly think it will be unique against other entries so it will hopefully catch a few eyes. If I was to do this project the only thing that I would change is the slight issue with the blurb on the back of the book, I think I would plan for it to fit better within the image. Other than that I feel as though I have completed this module to a pretty high standard with no real major issues. I even feel as though my time management has even improved as I have finished everything with a little bit of time left to tweak things as opposed to working right up to the deadline. I also managed to complete it whilst keeping on top of all my other written work, which I am quite proud of.   










No comments:

Post a Comment