Saturday 10 January 2015

Oranges are not the only fruit front cover

I used the letters that I made to create the title on the front of the page. Because the title was hand drawn I felt as though the author and quote should be done in digital typography to balance it out. To add some orange into the cover I created an orange band for the author name to go into. I then added a sad looking girl to the bottom of the page I feel as-though this gives the cover more balance than if it just had the text.  Here is a very rough digital copy that i started with only using text that I had scanned in. 

I  decided that this looked too plain so I re thought what should be on the cover and the composition of it.  this was when I decided to add the illustration of a girl to the bottom of the page and move the author name up to the top of the page. I also added the quote that goes on the front cover. There was also a shadow on the original lined paper so I re scanned some in to solve that issue. Here is those covers. 




I then decided to try out putting a thought bubble around the text to make it look like it was the girls thoughts. After doing this I decided that I didn't like it at all because it looked too clumsy and cluttered, plus I wanted it to look like a note as well as a thought, as if the girl has written her thoughts down, because there are a lot of notes written throughout the story.  


I went back to the second image for my final book cover design as I feel it was stronger being a bit more simple. The next step is to create the back cover to accompany this cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment