Wednesday 5 November 2014

Evaluation

Once I had chosen the album that I was going to base my project on (Aventine by Agnes Obel) it was time to think of a concept that was fit for the purpose, to help me narrow down and refine my ideas. I feel that the concept that I chose was fitting for the album choice because of the artist’s influences and heritage, it helped me a lot with thinking of an idea for the album cover.  The concept gave me a point of reference that I could always go back to if I got stuck with what image I wanted to create.

I then moved onto artist research, this helped me greatly because it helped me realise what I am capable of stylistically and helped me to understand how I work. Throughout this project I realised that I am not much of a graphical illustrator like most Scandinavian artists, because of this I looked at a broader range of artists so that my influences would work for my style and me.  

After researching a large range of subjects surrounding the album I decided to go ahead and start creating my images. This is the point where I realised that I would find the colours of Scandinavian art hard to work with, I also noticed that the art I was creating [fig.1&2] looked to innocent and happy to fit in with the themes of Agnes Obels slightly dark album. This forced me to take a few days to stop and re evaluate what I was doing and I’m so glad I did that  because I came out with much stronger art work in the end. The colours that I decided to use in the end reflect the autumnal feel of an enchanted forrest. I feel as though the deep reds and oranges [fig.3] help to darken the image a lot fitting the album a lot more, the same stands for my poster design. I used water colour and digital art to complete the piece, this is different to most scandinavian art but it is a medium that i am more confident in using so i am pleased that i stuck with my instinct because the piece came out really nice. 

For the product that I decided to screen print the material, this allowed me to learn and try out new techniques. I am really happy that I used this technique because I think the final outcome of my product works really well. I found the process of screen-printing hand and complicated because my memory was really tested with trying to get all of the correct and I made a few mistakes a long the way but overall I enjoyed the process.  

I feel as though i completed the editorial piece [fig 4] in a very fitting style and it fit in with the editorial research that i did. I was pleased with the outcome of the editorial because i had never really tried out this style before but i really enjoyed it and it came out exactly how i imagined it in my head.  

The positives of this project for me were how I presented my final body of work because I feel it is the most professionally presented project that I have ever done. The presentation is usually where I fall down and that greatly effects the overall project, this time is the first time I have been proud to present my work. I also think that I have managed to do branding well throughout this project as all of the items I have created are cohesive with each other and look like they are part of the same family.

In the future I feel as though I could be more thorough with artist research because although I feel like the research that I did helped me out a lot, if I had completed more of it, I could have refined my ideas and style a lot more. I could have also created work that was more linked to the style of artist that I was looking at. I could have also improved my analysis of the album cover in the beginning and that would have saved me having to re evaluate my ideas half way through therefore saving me time overall.


Overall I am pleased with my work but areas of my research and development could have been improved. I feel as though I have improved greatly compared to previous projects but there is still room for further improvement.

Fig 1 

fig 2 

fig 3


fig 4

No comments:

Post a Comment