Tuesday 14 October 2014

Typography development

As I want to include the title of the album and the artist name on the front of the CD and poster I decided to look into different fonts to get an idea of what I think will work best for my design. I used a website called Da Font to look at different styles and I have picked a few out that i think will work well and a few that I hope to stay away from so that I definitely know what i like. The fonts that I like that will inspire my own typography that I will create for the CD and poster designs.  For the samples i used the word Aventine because thats the . 

The first font that caught my eye is called Mademoiselle Camille and I like how delicate and girly that it is, I think the swashes on the letter A add a really nice elegant feel to it. I think this font might be a bit overpowering for the imagery of my design but I can look at this font and take small elements for example the thin italic lines as inspiration. 




This is an example of a font that i don't think will work with my design, It is called 'Mf Be Yourself'. The reason I don't think this font would fit my design it because it is too bold and striking to fit in with the calm elegant image that I want to get across. I also don't really like how the letters look slightly childish, this style of font would work great for a primary school leaflet but not for the purpose that i want. 




Below is an example of a font that i think would work quite well with my design it is called 'Coalhand Luke.' I like it because it looks very hand written and it is easy to read. I also think the way the letters are quire round rather than sharp looks really nice as if the text naturally flows together. The main thing that I don't like about this font is that it doesn't have capital letters it just has a lower case letter but a bit bigger than usual. If I was to use this font to base my own off I would create real capital letters. 




I don't think that I would chose a font like the one below 'Signerica' because it is quite hard to read but I do really like the delicate line quality that it has to it. This style of font looks very hand written and personal and I think the feel that it gives is really pretty. If I could take influence from this font but make it a bit more clear to read i feel like it would be the perfect font to use. 



I will take inspiration and ideas from all of the fonts that i like and try to combine them in to a type face that will work perfectly with my design. my next step is to go ahead and create my own font and try it out with my cover design.  



No comments:

Post a Comment