Tuesday 14 October 2014

Poster research

As we have to create a poster for this brief I decided to look at a verity of different music posters to see what kind of styles and layouts I think work best. Whilst looking at music posters I realised that there were two different types of posters that are made for artists, posters that advertise the album/concerts and posters that fans would buy for their wall. Im not sure what kind of poster we have to create but for now I will research both types. Looking at these posters will give me more ideas and inspiration for creating my own poster for the Agnes Obel album Aventine.

Whilst searching for music posters I came across some Bombay bicycle club posters that advertise their concerts. Most if not all of their album art is designed by illustrator Katie Scott, Her work has a lovely delicate colour and line quality to it i think it works really well for the bands image. The art used on their albums and posters gives a very vintage vibe, they look although they are drawn in the style of old medical and science drawings. This style although it reflects times gone by is also very current and contemporary now as this style is starting to come into illustration more often.

 I have always loved their illustrated album covers so it was really interesting to see how the album designs translated onto posters. The thing I like most about this poster is the composition, I think because the image us central it has a really clear focal point. I also like how although it is attention grabbing the image is still really subtle and simple. I will experiment and try out a similar composition to this and see how it works with my poster design.



The Poster below is a Biffy Clyro poster advertising tour dates. The things that I think work best are the limited colours and the fact that it looks screen printed. I really like the navy blue on the yellow background as I feel that it makes the imagery really stand out, I also think that the illustrative typography for the bands name gives the poster a really quirky unique look and feel. The design and imagery matches the band well as they have very unique strange lyrics about all different things. I am thinking about designing my poster for screen printing as I really love the look and feel of a screen printed image. I also feel like if the poster is part of a limited edition box set then it will be nicer to have a screen printed poster rather than a run of the mill printed poster.  



Overall I think that the sound and image of the musician or band is very representative in their poster designs. I will aim to get across the sound and feel of the artists music in my poster. And I now know that i'd like to create a screen printed poster for my final design.  





No comments:

Post a Comment